Hydraulic Cylinder Sealing Solutions
Anywhere & Everywhere Fluid Power Is Used To Create Motion.
Hydraulic cylinders perform work transmitting power into motion in a bevy of different situations, applications, and markets. They provide high force in a small package and are working to create motion almost everywhere. The design, size, seal package, and component materials vary according to the pressure, temperature, cycle requirements, and multiple other requirements of the application.
Hydraulic seals are crucial to the safety, performance, and efficiency of a functioning cylinder. They can prevent internal and external leakage or bypass of the hydraulic fluid, keep outside contamination particles and debris from entering the cylinder, perform in static or dynamic applications, and even eliminate any metal-to-metal contact of different cylinder components.
To maximize performance and avoid failures, hydraulic seals must be selected according to your application’s needs. Some of the variables to consider are:
- Compatibility to water, various oils, or exposure to chemicals and cleaning agents
- Ability to withstand extremely high pressure, pressure spikes or rapid changes in direction of pressure
- High and/or low temperature either environmentally or created within the system
- High speed or dithering applications
- Sound generation – reduction in “howling”
- Side loaded applications
- Cushion effects at either end of stroke
- Work environment contamination such as abrasive particles, dirt/mud, ice, etc. that can be in contact with the exposed cylinder rod
Hydraulic seals are offered in a very wide variety of profiles and materials to meet the needs of this extremely demanding market. It is of the utmost importance, however, that the right combination is used. Each seal is equally as important as the weakest link will cause the chain to fail. The exact material, size, and profile, working in unison must be designed to create the optimal efficiency of the hydraulic cylinder.
The advantage of working with ESP begins with our engineering expertise, global connections, and attention to detail. Backed by over 150 years of hydraulics expertise on staff, ESP delivers a wide range of sealing products, services, and connections with expert supplier partners – achieving the best solution no matter the situation, application, and requirements of your hydraulic cylinder.
- Optimal Sealing Solutions
- Reduced Warranty Claims
- Access To ESP Applications Engineering Support & Partner Supplier Network
- Simplified Assembly & Vendor Management
- Assistance With Standardization & Optimization Of Groove Sizes & Gland Machining Operations
- Expert Assistance In Finding Upgrades Or Substitutions That Will Work Within Existing Hardware Dimensions
- Expert assistance in finding upgrades or substitutions that will work within existing hardware dimensions
- Cylinders That Get The Job Done Right For Your Customer Based On Unique Requirements Of Their Equipment
- Reduced Maintenance
- Longer Equipment Service Life
- Machines With Higher Work Capacity
Common Hydraulic Cylinder Designs
Single-acting or Ram Hydraulic Cylinders
Double-acting Hydraulic Cylinders
Common Hydraulic Cylinder Construction Types
Double Ended or Steering Cylinders
Custom or Specialty Cylinders
Common Hydraulic Cylinder Retention Methods
Internal Threaded Head
External Threaded Cap
Wire ring retained
Snap ring retained
Industries Relying On Hydraulic Cylinders
Hydraulic Cylinder Sealing Products
Hydraulic Cylinder Value-Add Services